I offer free support for former members of Jehovah’s Witnesses (Ex-JW) in the form of peer support or peer mentorship . Having gone through the experience of leaving the religion myself, I know how confusing and traumatic it can be and I feel passionate about helping others who are going through the same experience. On my own journey I have gained many skills that I feel I could help others with. In the future I would like to produce a training program to train others to offer effective peer support or be be effective peer mentors, but for now its just me 🙂
Many religions, including Jehovah’s Witnesses, teach that there is just one true acceptable way to live and that everyone must adhere to that way in order to be happy. As such many of us became accustomed to letting others tell us what to believe and how to behave. In contrast, my perspective is that individual differences in biology, experience, and environment shape how we behave and effect what we want out of life. Although there is overlap between individuals, its up to each of us to figure out how to live a life that is meaningful and happy. Given our past this can be a real challenge. As a peer mentor, I would like to help you in figuring this out by providing support and education. Where you end up as far as your beliefs and perspectives might be quite different from where I end up and that’s ok.
Special Note to individuals who are PIMO (Physically in the religion but Mentally out): This is a difficult place to be in and many people who are PIMO wish to remain anonymous. From my own personal experience I know how scary it can be to even visit a website like mine… but you’re here so you’ve already overcome some of those fears. I am willing to respect your anonymity. I also want to assure you that my goal with peer mentorship is not to convert or de-convert or convince you of anything. My goal is only to provide support so you can develop your own perspectives on life and make your own decisions.
Support I offer:
- Active Listening
- Goal Setting
- Religious and non-religious views
- Discussion of different philosophies and theories of Life, Psychology, Science, and Religion
- Discussion on morality
- Self-Help Book Suggestions
- Educational Book Suggestions
- Life Skills
- Help finding a therapist or understanding what therapy is
- Help navigating higher education
- Mindfulness based perspectives
I do not offer support for:
- Mental Health Assessment, diagnosis, or treatment
- Mental Health Crisis Support
- Suicidal or homicidal thoughts, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline directly if you have thoughts of harming yourself or others: 800-273-8255
- Financial Aid (money, loans etc)
- Other material aid such as food, clothing, or housing. Although we maybe able to discuss how to find resources available.
If you are interested in receiving peer support please contact me using the form below. Mentorship can be in the form of text based chats or virtual zoom meetings.